How we planted the lawn
Lawn (from fr. gazon) - an artificial turf cover created by growing various herbs, mainly perennial species of the Cereals family.
Classification of lawns.
- Ground floor: Ground lawns can be called one of the most elegant and requiring the greatest efforts in their preparation. In general, they can be called the highest quality lawns - lawns of the elite class. At the same time, the ground grass can be not only flat, but also have wooden retaining walls that will best change the image of the landscape of your garden.
- Common: An ordinary decorative lawn can consist of the same types of grass as ground grass, however, it does not have such high quality requirements, which means that it can be mowed somewhat less often and cost less fertilizer and water. Random weeds sprouted on such a lawn will not be a disaster either.
- Moorish: The Moorish lawn is slightly different from other types of lawns. Indeed, in addition to lawn grasses, wildflowers are also used in it. And this can be one of the possible ways to approach nature and restore long-disturbed ecological balance, at least in your garden. At the same time, it is not necessary to look after the Moorish lawn with the same care and consistency as with a regular lawn.
- Meadow: One of the most important decorative features of a meadow lawn is its laid-back naturalness and at the same time beauty. After all, a meadow lawn imitates a peculiar, natural meadow in perfect execution. It is especially good when the site you bought already had a completely natural meadow lawn. This will give you the opportunity to improve what nature has already given, and now it is so fashionable.
Lawns for special purposes
- Sports: The sports lawn must be resistant to high loads, as well as to adverse weather conditions. In rainy weather, puddles or dirt should not appear on it, and in dry - dust; the lawn should be soft, comfortable for sports games. Therefore, the turf of a sports lawn is characterized by great strength and elasticity, but it requires increased attention in the formation and care.
- Lawns for special purposes sown in order to strengthen the slopes, slopes, sodding roadsides, gently sloping shores of water bodies. For this, grass mixtures of fast-growing cereals that form a dense sod are used.
Where to begin?
First, determine which lawn you want to plant in your area. The complex of ongoing work depends on this. The following questions will help you understand which lawn is right for your site.
- How do you plan to use the lawn?
- Where do you want to see the lawn?
- What size will the lawn be?
- What shape and style will the lawn be?
1. How do you plan to use the lawn?
- Picnic, family vacations, reception.
- Active leisure, playground.
- A separate element of the garden decor.
- Unused plot area.
2. Where do you want to see the lawn?
Most likely, you will want to place a place for picnics, a joint rest or a playground near the residential area. The lawn as a decorative element is likely to be placed on the most monitored areas. and, of course, there are also such corners of the garden that not often people enter, but they also want beauty and order.
3. What size will the lawn be?
Take this issue seriously, as financial and labor costs depend on this. Or maybe you still want to break a flower garden at this place, dig up beds, break up a decorative garden or plant a bush, a tree. The lawn is not just laid, it is taken care of.
4 What shape and style will be the lawn?
If your site is decorated in a strict classical style, it is also called formal, then the shape of the lawn should be regular, geometric. Well, if your site is informal, cottage and wild gardens are referred to such styles, then a lawn of smooth forms and bends that repeats the shapes of paths, flower beds is suitable for you.
Create a lawn
After answering the questions posed above and determining the style and affiliation of the lawn, we proceed to work.
Before sowing grass seeds, you need to carry out a set of preparatory work. The site selected for the lawn needs to be cleaned of debris and stones, remove weeds. Mark the territory of the future lawn. Mark the boundaries of the plot with straight borders along the rope stretched between the pegs. Make wavy lines of borders on the rope or hose laid out in the necessary form.
At our site, we started preparing the site for a regular lawn from the spring of the previous season, dug up the site, removed all kinds of roots, added a fertile layer of earth from a mixture of humus, peat and sand, leveled the site, covered the arable land with covering material and left the site to rest. Throughout the season, we destroyed all weeds that appear on the future lawn with the help of the Roundup and fed the land with mineral fertilizers.
In the spring of next year, just before sowing, another digging was carried out, fertilizing and leveling the site. Sowing seeds is best done in the late afternoon in calm weather in moist soil. Divide the seeds into two parts and sow the first half along the sown area, and the second across. Of course, it’s more convenient to use a seeder, but where to get it? After sowing, walk on the ground with a light rake, but do not bury the seeds too much, otherwise they will not germinate. When you have loosened and leveled the earth, you should compact it. Unfortunately, we do not have special rollers, so we covered the surface with boards and walked on them. The result was just a great platform.
After all the above work has been done, spill the soil well by spraying, do not allow the soil to erode, because water can wash grass seeds and the ground, making the lawn already ugly. After watering, we covered our future lawn with a covering non-woven material of the “sponbond” type so that the grass breathes, moisture is preserved, and the birds do not eat seeds. Now do not forget to water the lawn every day until the time comes to mow it. Watering the lawn is always done by sprinkling, so the earth is moistened evenly throughout the area, which contributes to the friendly growth of grass. Where moisture is not enough, weeds successfully compete with grass, outstripping it in growth and development. Poor watering is especially harmful when seeds are being bite and for young seedlings. Swollen and sprouted seeds, without receiving the necessary amount of moisture, simply die, and young seedlings are constantly under stress due to water deficiency, turn yellow and eventually die too.
In dry weather, irrigation is considered sufficient at the rate of 10 liters of water per 1 m2 of lawn and no less
What to do if you are not able to water the lawn daily, and come to the site only on Saturday and Sunday? Land the lawn in the second half of summer when the heat subsides, and the likelihood of rain is quite high.
The first mowing of the lawn is carried out when the grass has grown by 7-8 cm, after that, depending on which lawn you have broken, it is carried out at different intervals and at different heights
- Ground floor - Mowing is carried out every 3-4 days to a height of 1-2cm.
- Ordinary - 5-7 days to a height of 3-4cm.
- Mauritanian - Mowing is carried out only at the end of the season.
- Lugovoi - Mow the meadow lawn at least once a month, and its height can be 7-10 cm.
- Sports - Mowing is carried out every 10 days to a height of 4-5 cm.
The last mowing of the year is about half a month before the first snow falls.
Watering the lawns every day by sprinkling, or every other day, but in this case, watering should be plentiful. Watering can be done early in the morning or late in the evening, but by no means in the afternoon, otherwise the grass will turn yellow.
With intensive growth and frequent haircuts, a lot of nutrients are taken out of the soil, therefore top dressing is done periodically. Their frequency and type of fertilizer depends on the state of the grass stand. If the grass begins to turn yellow, turn pale, grow worse, despite adequate watering, then it is time to feed it with nitrogen or full mineral fertilizer at the rate of 15-20 g per 1 m2. Fertilizer can be applied both in dissolved form during irrigation, and evenly, sprinkling dry granules along the trimmed grass stand before irrigation.
© Sir Mildred Pierce
I hope my experience will help you create your own lawn and thereby bring a little more beauty to your site. I am pleased to learn about your methods of planting a lawn.